Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Faster and Optimized Firefox Release Builds

Site 1

Site 2



I just came across this. These are versions of Firefox which are optimized for specific processors--i.e. they are faster.

One of the major problems I had with Firefox was the startup time. Whenever I had wanted to look up something quickly on the Web (such as a dictionary definition or other quick fact), I always used Internet Exlporer because it opened up faster. Though I knew that Firefox was safer and rendered individual pages faster than IE, I still opted for IE in quick situations because of the startup time. Now, that's changed.

The new Firefox releases are optimized for various processors. There are basically 3 editions of the new browser, namely M1, M2 and M3. Each of the new builds are specialized for a series of processors. Since I am running Windows on the Celeron 2.8 GHz processor, M3 is the correct release for me.

After the installation, I have noticed great improvement in Firefox startup times. The startup time has decreased from about 6-8 seconds before to almost 3-5 seconds now. This means that I can now use FF as my primary browser even when I am looking up something quickly because Internet Explorer also takes 3-5 seconds to start up. I love FF:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home